- For my own part I will be incarnated two hundred times, if that is necessary to do what I have undertaken amongst my people.
- All my patriotism is gone. Everything is gone. Now it’s only Mother, Mother!
- My ideal, indeed, can be put into a few words, and that is to preach unto mankind their divinity, and how to make it manifest in every movement of life.
- Religion is the manifestation of the divinity already in man.
- Religion is the idea which is raising the brute unto man, and man unto God.
- The secret of religion lies not in theories but in practice. To be good and do good – that is the whole of religion.
Man is higher than all animals, than all angels; none is greater than man.
- One may gain political and social independence, but if one is a slave to his passions and desires, one cannot feel the pure joy of real freedom.
- Look at the wall. Did the wall ever tell a lie? It is always the wall. Man tells a lie and becomes a god, too. After so much austerity, I have understood this as the real truth – God is present in every jiva; there is no other God besides that. ‘Who serves jiva, serves God indeed.’
- Cut out the word help from your mind. You cannot help; it is blasphemy! You worship. When you give a morsel of food to a dog, you worship the dog as God. He is all, and is in all.
- Unselfishness is God. One may live on a throne, in a palace, and be perfectly unselfish; and then he is in God. Another may live in a hut and wear rags, and have nothing in the world; yet if he is selfish, he is intensely merged in the world.
All nations have attained greatness by paying proper respect to women. That country and that nation which do not respect women have never become great, nor will ever be in future.
- With five hundred men, … the conquest of India might take fifty years: with as many women, not more than a few weeks.
Religion and religion alone is the life of India, and when that goes, India will die, in spite of politics, in spite of social reforms, in spite of Kubera’s wealth poured upon the head of every one of her children.
- Before flooding India with socialistic or political ideas, first deluge the land with spiritual ideas.
- We want to lead mankind to the place where there is neither the Vedas, nor the Bible, nor the Koran; yet this has to be done by harmonizing the Vedas, the Bible, and the Koran.
- Mankind ought to be taught that religions are but the varied expressions of THE RELIGION, which is Oneness, so that each may choose the path that suits him best.
- Who will give the world light? Sacrifice in the past has been the Law, it will be, alas, for ages to come. The earth’s bravest and best will have to sacrifice themselves for the good of many, for the welfare of all.
- Truth, purity, and unselfishness – whenever these are present, there is no power below or above the sun to crush the possessor thereof. Equipped with these, one individual is able to face the whole universe in opposition.
- Everything can be sacrificed for truth, but truth cannot be sacrificed for anything.
- The highest ideal is eternal and entire self-abnegation, where there is no ‘I’, but is Thou’.
- By work alone, men may get to where Buddha got largely by meditation or Christ by prayer. Buddha was a working Jnani, Christ was a Bhakta, but the same goal was reached by both of them.
- All expansion is life, all contraction is death.
- All love is expansion, all selfishness is contraction. Love is therefore the only law of life. He who loves lives, he who is selfish is dying. Therefore love for love’s sake, because it is law of life, just as you breathe to live.
- The national ideals of India are Renunciation and Service. Intensity her in those channels, and the rest will take care of itself.
- Good motives, sincerity, and infinite love can conquer the world. One single soul possessed of these virtues can destroy the dark designs of millions of hypocrites and brutes.
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
– Biography of Swami Vivekananda
Source for some of the Quotes
Be the first to leave a comment. Don’t be shy.
You must be logged in to post a comment.