In the West, Yoga has become associated with Hatha Yoga, which stresses physical exercises as a way to improved health. However the ancient science of Yoga has been practised for many centuries as a practical way for aspirants to attain self realisation and enlightenment.
The word Yoga comes from the word to unite. In a spiritual sense Yoga is the attempt to unite Man with God, the Supreme Consciousness. A man or woman who seeks after this union or self realisation is called a Yogi or Yogin.
The four main branches of Yoga are:
- Karma Yoga – The Yoga of Selfless Service
- Bhakti Yoga- The Yoga of Devotion
- Jnana Yoga – The Yoga of Wisdom
- Raja Yoga – The Yoga of Philosophy
Talks about Yoga
- Sri Aurobindo’s Integral Yoga
- The Psychology of Yoga by Sri Aurobindo
- Kriya Yoga by Paramahansa Yogananda Kriya Yoga was introduced by Lahiri Mahasaya and popularised in the West by Paramahansa Yogananda
- What is Yoga by Sri Chinmoy
- Yoga and Spirituality by Sri Chinmoy
- Know Thyselfby Sri Chinmoy
- Kundalini Yoga by Sri Chinmoy
- The Wisdom of Yoga resources on different types of yoga.
- Classic Yoga.org Useful List of Yoga related websites
- Yoga of Sri Chinmoy
- B.K.S. Iyengar
- Lotus yoga- a studio in Dublin, Ireland
Photo by: Phoolanjaya